HISTORY OF THE AVENUERS N.Y.B.
The year was 1953 and there was a new part of the Fancy Division that was waiting to make their mark on the Philadelphia Mummers Parade. That was the organizing of the Avenuer’s Fancy Club. Starting out in a small garage they debut “Mr. Sandman” in 1955, which was presented by their first Captain Frank Purvenis. They had no idea what they were about to start or even be a part of. As years went on the Avenuer’s Fancy Club started to gain strength due to and increasing membership and a new location was necessary. In 1957 a move was made to 1226 E. Moyamensing Avenue, where the neighbors referred to them as the “Club on the Avenue.” Eventually the membership became greater and a new clubhouse was needed so they made their way to 1226 S. 2nd Street which became their new home til this day. A significant and monumental move was made by the Avenuer’s Fancy club when in 1979 they became a part of what is now known as the Fancy Brigade Association. Today, the Avenuer’s are the 3rd oldest Fancy Brigade in the Association. As the years rolled by, there were many good times and hardships in the Avenuer’s Organization but because of strong leadership the Avenuer’s “GLOVES, TOP HAT AND CANE” banner continues to fly high.